[obol] Chickadee Madness and other coastal commonalities

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:16:30 -0700

Working in Reedsport for a couple days I had some morning time on Monday to
look for birds. I was astonished by the commonalities of the things I
observed with recent OBOL posts:

Commonality #1: CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES. While at the south end of the S
Jetty Rd (called Salmon Harbor Rd), where there is an interface between
dunes and coastal scrub, I could see in the distance a flock of about 40
birds flying south towards me over the flat sand at about 100 ft up, their
slightly indulating flight was apparent. Pipits I thought. Over wide open
dunes. Undulating. Flock of 40. I'll look for longspurs. ... What ...? 40
CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES flying at least a half mile over sand dunes land
in the willows in front of me, causing the yellow-rumped warblers that I
had pished up to dive for cover or move over to make room. In about 20
seconds they all took off again south, this time over the foredune! Coos
Bay here they come!

Commonality #2: TROPICAL KINGBIRD. I drove around from Reedsport to the
Umpqua south jetty scanning power lines and treetops for the species. When
I had just about run out of time, I drove out the road to the Coast Guard
lookout, and wahoooo a TROPICAL KINGBIRD! It ate dozens of flying insects
while I watched and photographed. It never made a sound.

Commonality #3: CACKLING GEESE flying north. Five or so flocks totalling
about 800 birds. What are they doing?

Commonality #4: A SNOW GOOSE in with one of the cackler flocks. Photos.

Didn't find a Palm Warbler.

Matt Hunter
...soon to leave Reedsport