[obol] Re: Cheeky Jay

  • From: "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Oregon Birder's Online" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:36:49 -0700

Western Scrub Jays know where they want to cache peanuts, and as you have seen, they know where they've put them. They use landmarks while caching them and will return to the spot according to the location of those 'markers' they have seen. People studied their reliance on landmarks and their accuracy, and found that placing stakes in the ground where Jays would cache and moving the stakes afterwards caused the birds to miss the site when they returned. Without interference they retrieved the food accurately.

If you tried feeding Jays peanuts yourself, you would get to see them test them to select the biggest one.

Pamela Johnston

-----Original Message----- From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dtoregon@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:49 AM
To: OBOL Oregon Birder's Online
Subject: [obol] Cheeky Jay

Nearly every morning someone near me, I live in a condo, puts out peanuts, in the shell, for birds. The recipient Scrub Jay then appears on my deck and proceeds to bury the peanut in one of my plants. If I see the Jay I remove the peanut and place it on the deck railing. Within the next hour, the Jay reappears and he then buries it in the one plant closest to my window. I do love the Jay's audacity.

This morning the loudest of the urban chorus is the Junco seconded by the Song Sparrow. The Song Sparrow has already been by for the morning birdbath.

The Anna's males and females are returning to the feeders.

Keep cool!
Diane Trainer