[obol] Chats in Morrow County

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:29:57 -0700

Oregon birders,

Just to add to the discussion about Yellow-breasted Chats in Morrow County,
I recorded four (4) chats along the Upper Rhea Creek road, within 15 miles
upstream from Ruggs, while taking part in the Morrow County blitz on June
1st. My data were not entered into eBird until yesterday (I only got home on
Wednesday), so it seems that there were twice as many sightings of chats in
the county last weekend as people were aware of when this discussion was
taking place.

There is nothing unique about the habitat along Upper Rhea Creek. There are
several similar ravines dropping down from the Blue Mountains in Morrow
County. Based on what I found along Upper Rhea Creek, and the comments of
Darrel Faxon and John Shewey in nearby Gilliam County, I would suggest that
Yellow-breasted Chat is probably a fairly common breeder in Morrow County.

I can't say the same for Common Yellowthroat, which I failed to find despite
briefly checking the locality where one was recorded near Exit 168 on
Interstate 84.

The Morrow County blitz was a very enjoyable experience for me; I added 13
species to my lifetime county list, and birded numerous localities that I
had never visited before. However, by looking on eBird at the Morrow County
list for 2014, it appears that there were at least 20 other bird species
seen over the weekend that WOULD have been new for me, had I seen them. Most
of these were scarce species that were recorded in only 1 to 4 localities.
To any of the keen county listers: I would recommend taking part in a county
blitz, then sticking around for another 3 or 4 days and tracking down all
the species you DIDN'T see on the weekend. (Most of the data are entered
into eBird very promptly, with very precise localities.)

The beauty of the Oregon 2020 approach, as others have pointed out, is that
the "hotspot squares" which are the focus of the project are located at
random within the 36-square-mile townships, so it gets birders into
localities that are rarely if ever birded. Not all these squares are great
birding areas, but some of them are, and we can be sure that numerous
unexpected discoveries will be made on every one of these county blitzes.

All the best,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx

From: paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 00:23:06 -0700

Why did the Oregon 2020 Morrow County blitz find two species I've never
found in ~30 years of birding there, Common Yellowthroat and Yellow-breasted
Chat?  Craig Corder lived in the area and actively birded the county for a
half a century, and he rarely found those species.  They're not easy.   The
Breeding Bird Atlas data show only possible breeders in a few hexagons.   I
found 214 other species before these two.

Possible reasons:

A.     The blitz birders made a mistake.  There are no yellowthroats or
chats in the county.  NOT LIKELY.

B.     The blitz birders are better birders that I am.

C.     The blitz birders applied more hours than past birders have.   GIVEN
THE EFFORT OVER YEARS OF SEVERAL LISTERS, I WOULD QUESTION THIS.

D.     The protocol of the Oregon 2020 sampling scheme sent people to places
a birder wouldn't likely go.  THE ATLAS PROJECT SENT ME TO PLACES I
OTHERWISE WOULD NOT HAVE VISITED.   I PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO CORNERS OF
MORROW COUNTY.   My effort to SEEK TARGET SPECIES for my county list took me
to likely locations for those species.

E.      There are MORE chats and yellowthroats in the county now.  There has
been a range expansion since the Atlas project.  ISN'T THIS in part WHAT
OREGON 2020 IS TESTING?  We'll see when the data are in.  We've seen an
increase in locations where chats are found here in Yamhill County in recent
years.

Just food for thought.

Anyway, I'm glad they're out there.

Good birding, everyone,