[obol] Re: Catharus thrushes

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:42:10 -0800

Between these two emails (below) there must have been a bunch of information shared.  It didn’t appear here on OBOL.  So let me ask:

Since when is tail color NOT definitive in distinguishing Hermit Thrush from other thrushes????  If not that, then what?  We’ve had discussions about winter putative Swainson’s Thrushes in the past, and I still have not seen a clear exposition of the story.

I believe it involves subspecies of each species, but I’ve never seen it laid out clearly.

For example:

Hermit thrushes have (say 4) subspecies

1

2

3

4

Swainson’s thrushes have (say 3) subspecies

1

2

3

And subspecies #2 of Swainson’s Thrush looks almost the same as subspecies #3 of Hermit Thrush.

Paul Sullivan

Oregon

Date: 12/15 5:15 PM
From: Christine Maack <cmaackster...>
Subject: [obol] Catharus thrushes

Thanks for all the information about hermit thrushes in Oregon. Now that I
can't use tail color as definitive, what are good ways to distinguish
between hermit and Swainsons (in season)?

Chris

Oregon

Date: 12/14 12:30 PM
From: Christine Maack <cmaackster...>
Subject: [obol] Mystery thrush

Got a good look at a catharus thrush under someone's feeder this morning.
Did not have any rufous in the tail and had pale legs. Could have been a
Swainson's or a Gray-cheeked. Which is more likely?

Chris