[obol] Re: Cascade Head 10/3

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 12:46:37 -0700

Phil mentions Chestnut-backs in numbers. I was surprised on the s. coast a
week ago to find flock upon flock of them. Wherever I expected five there were
fifteen, and there were small wads here and there in alder and willow habitat.
And there are plenty in downslope areas of Eugene. A good breeding year? Fire
displacement? Local food supplies?

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

NOTE: Owing to my very heavy workload and travel schedule through December 5,
my response to your messages may take up to a week.

On Oct 3, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Phil Pickering <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Spent most of the morning in the meadow today,
a few highlights -

1 Mountain Chickadee (lone southbound transient
not associating with other birds. Tail looked in rough shape
suggesting suspended molt)
http://philliplc.com/2015images/CHMC.jpg
1 Marsh Wren (skulking in atypical habitat at
about 600 feet)
http://philliplc.com/2015images/CHMW.jpg
1 Swainson's Thrush (nice look at an Olive-backed
type moving around actively with a flock of Robins)
1 Common Yellowthroat (only warbler detected, wave of Townsend's has
apparently passed) 4 Western Bluebird
2 Townsend's Solitaire
1 Chipping Sparrow
1 Pink-footed Shearwater (lone bird moving south
quite close in)
minor south flight of California and Heermann's Gulls

Most prominent species present was Chestnut-backed
Chickadee, with dozens of pure small flocks seen feeding and
trending north upslope. They also seemed to be unusually
dense along the lower forested part of the trail.

Also noted the usual fall influx of Pacific Wrens into the
meadow, heard at least 20 in brush on the open slopes

Plus small numbers of Robins moving south, Siskins moving
north. Only heard a few Crossbills.

Phil
philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx