[obol] Re: [COBOL] Boreal Owls in snowless Cascades?

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>, "'MidValley Birds'" <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oregon Birders OnLine'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Central Oregon Birders'" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 21:47:30 -0800

Joel,

We have talked about going up there, but haven't so far.  The forest service
road can be a bit dicey even without snow on it.

There actually are a number of folks who have heard the full song of the
Boreal Owl.  Craig Miller and I had a pair duetting at the Green Lakes
Trailhead on September 14, 1994.  They kept up this vocal serenade for well
over half an hour.  Three years earlier (April 22, 1991) Craig, Karen
Theodore, Chris Carey and I went up to the same area on snowmobiles and we
heard a total of three birds singing their main song.  If I were a betting
person I would bet that there are others who have heard it as well.

Tom