[obol] Re: Bushtit Nest Video & Mystery Bird Sound

  • From: Scott Carpenter <slcarpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:52:55 -0700

I'm happy to provide some more context around the mystery bird sound heard
in Rhett's video.

The bird was an adult, in a large bush/small tree. A raccoon was about
12-20 feet away in another tree (both the bird and raccoon were moving
around a bit). The raccoon and bird appeared to be aware of each other, but
that is only speculation on my part.

The bird was within 100 yards of two houses. I did not note any open
windows, but there very well could have been some. There were some men
painting the exterior of one of the houses.

If anyone needs more context, please feel free to ask. I suspect Rhett
could also provide context, but since Rhett was kind enough to stay by our
gear while I went out of sight up a steep hill to find the bird, he did not
have the opportunity to see the immediate surroundings of the bird in
question. Bummer, too, as he could probably tell you all the species of
plants/trees that surrounded the bird, and he likely would have found an
owl nest, too.

--
Scott Carpenter
Portland, Oregon