[obol] Burrowing Owls in Willamette Valley

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:45:50 -0800

P.S. One of my more puzzling experiences from 18 years of residence in
this region came in the spring of 1999 or 2000, when I was walking along
a fence line on private land between two expansive grass fields in SW
Polk County, and heard what sounded a whole lot like a rattlesnake
buzzing at me from a bit of a "tunnel" that went back into the
blackberries.

At the time, I was not familiar with this behavior of Burrowing Owls,
although I had enough familiarity with rattlesnakes that I was not
interested in investigating more closely.

Since then, I haven't been able to think of another good explanation for
this encounter. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact time of year,
but my best guess, based on my visual recollection of the state of the
blackberry leaves, is that it would have been in March or early April.
So if it was indeed a Burrowing Owl, it would have still been within the
window of time for wintering birds.

Good birding,
Joel

--