[obol] Brownsville CBC needs count week birds!

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:29:02 -0800

The fog yesterday went from medium to heavy all day long.  Maybe for short
periods of time it was light.  It was so bad at times that binoculars at
distances as short as 20 feet were not much help. There wasn't much water
in the usually waterfowl-rich Diamond Hill wetlands area.  There's a
possibility that some birds went to warmer places during the Big Freeze and
have not come back.

The good news is that, on count day, the team of Linda Gilbert and Cynthia
Stockwell were able to locate the BURROWING OWL that had been found in the
count circle earlier.  The bad news is that we missed many species, We
currently have a total of 94 for the day, which is in the bottom half of
count totals, though not the worst.

If you bird in the Brownsville CBC circle on the 27th-29th and see any of
the following species, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.  If
you saw them from the 23rd-25th, that would help, too.  We would be able to
count them as Count Week species.

Greater White-fronted Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Common Merganser
Ring-necked Pheasant
Any shorebird except for Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, and
   Long-billed Dowitcher
Rock Pigeon
Barn, Western Screech. Gerat Horned and Saw-whet Owls, Belted Kingfisher,
Marsh Wren, Cedar Waxwing, and Pine Siskin (absence of siskins seems to be
a widespread phenomenon this year.),

The north end of the circle is at Washburn Butte, the east end is about at
Crawfordsville, the south end is approximately the intersection of
Priceboro and Gap Roads, and the west side is west of I-5, with the
Burrowing Owl area being only a quarter mile or so inside the circle.

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR