[obol] Broughton Beach Lapland Longspur (photo)

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:47:03 -0700

This morning a LAPLAND LONGSPUR was at Broughton Beach by the Portland
airport. It was mostly south and slightly west of the gull roost spot, but
much closer to the jetty where there's dry sand and sparse vegetation.
Nearby were about 10 HORNED LARKS and several AMERICAN PIPITS.

Photos of the longspur are at http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/. I think the
photos give the impression that I was uncomfortably close to the bird to
photograph it, but compact zoom cameras are pretty amazing. Mine has a 24x
zoom, equivalent to a 600mm lens, which with the good light allowed me to
keep a safe distance while getting a good photo.

Andy Frank