[obol] Re: Boreal Owls

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 23:14:29 -0700

Dear Brandon and others,

I think that people should keep in mind that Boreal Owls aren't necessarily
always found at excessively high levels.  About 15 years ago in April Dan van
den Broek, Elmer Specht, and I heard a Boreal Owl doing its primary song in
Clackamas County along Ghost Creek in the Salmon River Meadows area..  The
elevation in this area is only about 3200 feet or so.  That area has a lot of
Engelmann Spruce trees in it.  We tried again in the same area about two weeks
later, but weren't successful the second time in hearing any.   I don't know
how common this species is in the Mt. Hood area, but they might be more common
in that area than has been known previously.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen