[obol] Blue-winged Teal - 2 pair at Jackson Bottom Wetlands this evening

  • From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 18:39:08 -0700

At 4:25 PM (following up on Steve Nord's tip from yesterday) I went looking
for the Blue-winged Teal at Jackson Bottom.  I finally found a pair in the
last pond to the extreme right, center back of the pond.  I tried
digiscoping photos, but lighting was very poor and didn't have much luck.
After watching them through the scope for 20 minutes or so, I headed back
towards the junction and low and behold, found another pair in the main
pond, just to the left a few steps as you come from the visitor center out
to the ponds.  They were much closer and my digiscoping worked better here
so got some decent (not great) photos and video footage.  Also saw 2 male
Wood Duck in the pond to the right, a Spotted Sandpiper, several pairs of
Cinnamon Teal, some Gadwall in particularly nice breeding plumage and a
decent assortment of other species.

The Blue-winged Teal pair were still in the front pond when I left at 5:55
PM.

Nels