[obol] Re: Black-vented Shearwaters Yachats and Florence viewpoints

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Judy Meredith <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 05:19:57 +0000

As Judy points out, the Black-vented Shearwater "show" is not over. A new push
of northbound Black-venteds passed the Humboldt Bay jetties yesterday and we
had some distant white-bellied shearwaters that were likely Black-venteds from
vantage points in Lane and Lincoln Counties this past Sunday. That same day we
had one certain Black-vented from Toketee-Klootchman Wayside (about half way
between Florence and Yachats).

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Black-vented Shearwaters Yachats and Florence viewpoints
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 21:59:49 -0700

I was lucky enough to get a ride to Yachats with Tom Crabtree today, and to
see the dove with time allowing for us to do a seawatch later. Tom may
correct me if I have locations wrong.

In Yachats, along Ocean View Drive, there are public areas with elevated
public spots next to the sea. From one at about sixth and Ocean View, where
there is a bench, we watched couple of fairly close Gray Whales surfacing
with a constant feeding frenzy around them. It was a good 30 minute show. We
saw up to about 20 Black -vented Shearwaters amongst the many gulls, a few
pelicans, and a few of Pink -footed Shearwaters and fewer Sooty Shearwaters.
There were many hundreds of birds. Oh, we saw 1 Northern Fulmar in the flock
also. Surf Scoters, Oystercatchers around the rocks below. One Black Scoter.

Later while heading toward home, and stuck waiting where there is road
construction north of Florence, we pulled over and birded from an un-named
vista along the road. We had 4 or so Black-vented Shearwaters closer to
shore, just at the first breaker line, along with many Heerman's gulls and
other gulls. The wind was good this afternoon for shearwaters, just enough
to get them up in the air a bit.

The shearwater show is not over! If you are heading over for the dove,
consider a watch to check for shearwaters too. Full disclosure, there were
other places we checked and had no shearwaters.

judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx