[obol] Re: Black Phoebe fledglings [Toledo update]

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 17:11:46 -0700

Hi,

Chuck Philo has continued to monitor the Black Phoebe nesting in
Toledo in an outbuilding.  On Monday (May 20), he thought they were
2/3 grown because they looked so fuzzy, but they may have been more
developed than he thought.  On May 21 at 6 PM, he visited, and there
were still young in the nest.  May 22 was wet, and he checked three
times and did not find any activity at the nest.

The morning of May 23, he visited and still found no activity.  But at
10:30 AM, he found 1 or 2 adults sallying forth to catch insects and
carrying the insects in their bills while flying into a row of
approximately 25 foot high Douglas fir and cedar trees about 75 yards
from the nest, presumably to feed the fledglings that he did not see.
He did not hear any calling by the fledglings, but calls may have been
drowned out by the wind.

So Chuck's Black Phoebes appears to have fledged the night of May 21.
Matt Hunter's were fledged sometime by the morning of May 21 (see
Matt's email below).
--
Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon