[obol] Black Phoebe Question

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 19:39:17 +0000

Hi Folks,
I and some of the local birders I am associated with have been talking about
the paucity of Black Phoebes in the Willamette Valley this season.  I have not
seen one since January, and the two places in the county where they nested last
year, are vacant this year.  We are surmising that the cold spell this winter
killed them off.  I would be interested in a discussion to see if others have
the same outlook.  It could be very local in Polk County, or we could just be
missing them altogether.  The latter seems unrealistic because a few of us have
birded quite extensively in the last few months, and it would seem we would
have had some success.

It may be that this species would need to repopulate itself if there was indeed
a die off?

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.