[obol] Birder News regarding Portland Audubon's Wild Arts Festival

  • From: mratclif@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:54:31 -0800

Many of you know that the Wild Arts Festival is one of the Audubon
Society of Portland's biggest fundraisers. The Wild Arts Festival is
THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21ST, 10AM TO 6PM AND SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 22ND,
11AM TO 5PM, at Montgomery Park, 2701 NW Vaughn St, Portland, OR 97210.
Besides featuring exceptional art, the Festival has a Book Fair where
fine regional authors can be found signing their books from NOON TO 4PM
on both days.

This year, we have a wonderful lineup including some extraordinary
birding and wildlife authors.

Saturday, Gerrit Vyn, John Marzluff, Harry G Fuller, Max Smith & Sarah
Swanson, and Marcy Houle will be signing their books.

GERRIT VYN, known for his fabulous bird photography and natural sound
recordings will be signing _The Living Bird_, a book with over 250 of
Vyn's photographs and essays by Jared Diamond, Scott Weidensaul, and
others. To whet your desire to buy this book or to get a special gift
for your bird loving friends, watch the book trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPHNXJWZfs [1]

JOHN MARZLUFF, widely known for his research on crows and other corvids,
will be signing his book, _Subirdia_. This book covers his latest
research in how birds are doing in our suburban environments and what we
can do to make our environments better for protecting birds. The Bird
Note podcast provided a great encapsulation of this book's findings:
http://birdnote.org/show/ten-commandments-subirdia [2]

HARRY G FULLER, an active member of the obol community, will be signing
_The Great Gray Owl of California, Oregon, and Washington_, a book he
wrote with Peter J. Thiemann, the well-regarded photographer of
Applegate. Learn more about how they carried on their research of the
secretive Great Gray Owl populations in Pacfic Coast states.

MAX SMITH & SARAH SWANSON will be back signing their wonderful _Must See
Birds of the Pacific Northwest_. Max also will have some of his
beautiful bird art in the 6x6 show.

MARCY HOULE, author and wildlife biologist, wrote _Wings for My Flight:
The Peregrine Falcons of Chimney Rock_ and _The Prairie Keepers: the
Secret of the Zumwalt Prairie_ after her research of the raptors in both
areas and is the noted author of _One City's Wilderness about Forest
Park_. In addition to these titles, Marcy will also be signing her
latest book, _The Gift of Caring: Saving Our Parents from the Perils of
Modern Healthcare_.

On both Saturday and Sunday, you can drop by to say "Hi" to HARRY NEHLS
who will be signing his books. Harry's been birding Oregon since 1949
and is a recognized expert, who publishes the Portland Rare Bird alert,
writes a regular column for the Warbler, and teaches birding classes at
the Portland Audubon sanctuary.

On Sunday in addition to Harry, Thor Hanson, Grant McOmbie, James Davis,
and Woody Wheeler will be signing their books.

THOR HANSON, conservation biologist, Guggenheim Fellow, Switzer
Environmental Fellow, and acclaimed author of _Feathers_, will be
signing his latest book, _The Triumph of Seeds_. This work is both
beautiful and fascinating as he illustrates the natural and cultural
history of seeds and why we are so dependent on them. You can hear Thor
talking with Ira Flatow about his book in this recent episode:
http://www.sciencefriday.com/person/thor-hanson [3].

GRANT MCOMIE is a well-known broadcast journalist, teacher, and author
who writes and produces special programs about the people, places,
outdoor activities, and environmental issues of the Pacific Northwest.
He will be signing his newest guidebook, _Guide to Wildlife Watching in
Oregon_, which includes Grant's favorite wildlife watching destinations.

JAMES DAVIS who was the Metro Naturalist will be signing his book,
_Northwest Nature Guide_, a must-have book for people who want to know
where to go view wildlife.

WOODY WHEELER, Seattle's Conservation Catalyst, will be signing his
book, _Look Up! Birds and Other Natural Wonders_. This book has lovely
photos and touching essays that help people connect to the natural word.

For more information and to see a complete schedule for the authors
visit the wildartsfestival.org [4] website and to download a 2-for-1
coupon that you can use for admission.

Do consider dropping by to meet these fine authors and photographers. We
hope to see you there!

Mary Ratcliff
Wild Arts Festival Book Fair Committee

Links: