[obol] Big Day Polk County

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 04:05:12 +0000

Hi Folks,
Yesterday 5 of us (Brandon Wagner, Doug Robinson, and two of his students at
OSU Tyler and Jenna and myself) did a big day here in Polk County.  I think we
may have put the total out of reach at 145.  Thankfully the weatherman was
wrong (nice when that works out to your favor).  I started at 2 am doing some
owling and only listed Barred Owl of the 3 owls the group did not find.  We met
in the extreme southern part of the county at 5 am and birded until around 8 or
so.  Seems like a number of species were only represented by one bird.
Everything went well in finding most of the regulars, some rarer ones, along
with a little luck here and there.  Some of the better birds of the day were:
American Avocet, White-tailed Kite, Prairie Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Lewis
Woodpecker,  Blue Grouse, Hooded Merganser, Solitary Sandpiper, Wrentit, Chat.

Some seemingly easy misses were Common Merganser, Spotted Sandpiper.   Other
misses seemed more or less getable were: Pewee (saw one today though), Western
Kingbird, Willow Flycatcher, BW Teal, Short-billed Dowitcher, Snipe,
Sharp-sinned Hawk, Bonaparte's Gull, Black Phoebe, Solitare, Siskin, Red
Crossbill.

It was a fun day, and we were already brainstorming doing the same in another
county for next year.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.