[obol] Bend - Alfalfa Raptor Route 3-25-15

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 20:35:16 -0700

Gary Kramer joined me today on the March Bend-Alfalfa raptor Survey.  My last
one for the 2014 - 2015 survey year and the 55th time I have done this route in
11 years.  We drove 77 miles under cloudy skies, 5 - 10 mph SW winds, and with
temperatures between 43 and 55 degrees F.  We counted 105 raptors which
included a record breaking number of American Kestrels 33.  The highest
previous number for the route was 19.  There wasn't much else going on out in
the hay fields and juniper except for lots of Mtn. Bluebirds with many  metal
larks and gas hawks in and out of the Bend Airport all day.  here is our count.

Red-tailed Hawk            64
American Kestrel           33
Ferruginous Hawk            2
Prairie Falcon                   1