[obol] Re: Baskett Slough shrike question

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:18:37 -0700

It usually takes more than just one id point to call a shrike.  And I look
for those things that  Dave mentioned. Pale tips to coverts and the extent
of the white patch on base of primaries should be noted and maybe rump
color as well. I thought it interesting in comparing Pam's pictures of an
adult Northern to the Loggerhead, another sort-of-helpful-but-be-careful
trait can be observed.  Loggerheads tend to stick close to the ground and
in small shrubs, Northerns like to sit up high on phone poles and tops of
trees.  All depends on what they are hunting , so just a fun thing..

Pam captured this behavior.

Bob Archer
PDX