[obol] Barred Owls, Snow Geese - Multnomah Co.

  • From: Polly Alexander <pollysalexander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:10:07 -0700

This weekend we had two outings, both very interesting for birds.

The first was on Wildwood Trail in Forest Park, which we accessed via
Germantown Rd. (going up Germantown, parking at the trailhead lot on your left
and enter on the left side of road). The trail crosses Springfield Rd. and
maybe a 1/4 mile or so from that point we encountered a pair of Barred Owls
calling "Who Cooks for You" just next to the trail. We stopped and watched for
quite a while as they flew from tree to ground to tree and eventually landed
next to each other and seemed happy to be watching us also. At that point we
turned around and headed back to the car and about 25 minutes back down the
trail we found a second pair also quite out in the open.They too flew around
always staying close to us and we felt very lucky to get such long good looks
at 4 owls in one afternoon.

Today we went to Sauvie Island and saw a huge flock (too far to really count -
but at least 500) of snow geese which seemed a little out of place as we were
in our shorts, very warm, and feeling much like summer. We also were happy to
still see the Sandhills there. No signs of Osprey.

Polly Alexander
Portland