[obol] Band-tailed Pigeon nesting, Lincoln County

  • From: "Karan Fairchild" <alderspr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oregon Birds Online" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:21:13 -0700

On a day hike into Drift Creek Wilderness, my nephew spotted a
below-eye-level nest, after a largish bird flew out of the trail-side
salmonberry.  We saw a single white elliptical egg, maybe 1 3/4 x 1 1/4"
(3x4cm) in a shallow twig nest, 12 feet off the ground.  On the way back
out, we saw a BAND-TAILED PIGEON bail out silently downslope away from the
nest--no need for the usual noisy lift-off.  Everything met the typical
nesting conditions as described by Paul J Baicich's A Guide to the Nests,
Eggs, and Nestlings of North American Birds.  If successful, that fledging
could still be ready for fall migration in mid-October.

Jim Fairchild