[obol] Re: Banded Cooper's Hawk

  • From: "Dennis Vroman" <dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, "Jen Sanford" <jjsanford@xxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Oregon Birders Online" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 14:08:10 -0700

Dave, Jen and other OBOL folks,

This is a "normal" band for Cooper's and other large birds (particularly birds
of prey).  It's a "lock-on" band, which has a tab where the other end of the
band folds over it and is crimped into place.  These birds have the ability to
pull open the round "butt-end" band and, well there goes the band.  They can
not open the lock-on bands.'

Have banded just one Cooper's myself, slim chance this is the one.

Dennis
  Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 13:04:55 -0700
  Subject: [obol] Banded Cooper's Hawk
  From: jjsanford@xxxxxxxxx
  To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  This morning I noticed a Cooper's Hawk hanging out in my yard, and after I
took a few photos I noticed it had a band on its right leg.  I can't read
anything on it, though there's one thing (could just be the light)  that almost
looks like a "3."  I uploaded three unaltered photos of the bird to Flickr, one
with the leg raised to see a different side of the band, if anyone wants to try
to read it.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/14634361307/

  The hawk spooked when I turned off the fan in the window, and my neighbor's
cat also spooked from nearby.  Interesting to see a native predator compete
directly with a nonnative predator for my feeder birds-  or perhaps they were
hunting each other.  I dream of the day a hawk carries that cat off...

  Good birding,

  Jen Sanford
  Portland