[obol] Baker County Oregon 2020 blitz results

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:12:40 -0700

The Baker County Oregon 2020 blitz was held 21-22 June, 2014. We had a great
turn out of many excellent observers. I believe results from all our teams are
now posted on eBird. I provide a summary here.

We generated more than 690 checklists, which are counts of all species
encountered in a given location. Previously, eBird had about 300 for Baker
County. Ever.

Baker County has 90 of our Oregon 2020 hotspot squares, which are the focus of
our blitz survey efforts (see oregon2020.com for more details). Our team was
able to survey birds at 72 of those squares, a remarkable accomplishment for
one weekend in such a large county with so many private inholdings and rough,
narrow mountain roads.

We found 190 species. Highlights included:

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (found by Tyler Hallman and Jeff Harding in a narrow
canyon with a juniper removal project in process)

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (adult male seen and heard wing-trilling, Randy Moore)

Common Loon (basic plumage on Phillips Reservoir, found by Stan Senner and Dan
Roby)

American Redstart (male singing in Catbird Alley east of Halfway, found by me)

Many Gray Catbirds, Veeries, and a few Red-eyed Vireos east of Halfway
(initially found by Roy Morris and Dylan Hopkins; others were scattered around
Baker City area, see eBird for locations)

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (up high in the Blue Mountains of western Baker County;
found by Evan Jackson)

Purple Finch (yeah, they are rare here, in the Brooks Ditch area by Dave Irons
and Shawneen Finnegan)

Brewer's Sparrow (abundant in many places, but a collection of them near
timberline in the Wallowas was interesting)

We could go on and on with many more examples of interesting birds we found. It
was a truly exceptionally fun time birding here.

We would like to thank all of the observers for a wonderful weekend together.
What an amazingly beautiful and diverse county!

Mike Bogar
Trent Bray
Diana Byrne
Jenna Curtis
Kat Davis
Mike Ellis
Shawneen Finnegan
Tyler Hallman
Jeff Harding
Dylan Hopkins
Dave Irons
Evan Jackson
Randy Moore
Roy Morris
Jamie Ratliff
Doug Robinson
Dan Roby
Stan Senner

Special thanks to Jamie Ratliff, Brian Ratliff and Mark Penninger for their
help with road access information and tips for finding target birds.

See you on the next blitz!
Doug