[obol] Re: Are we sure there are subspecies of Yellow-throated Warbler

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rabican1@xxxxxxxxx" <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 13:29:15 -0800 (PST)

For what it is worth, I managed to get two very blurry undertail shots of the
warbler today, which can be seen here:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjNsR9P3

It looks to me like there might be a slightly darker area between tail and
coverts, which - according to Dunn & Garrett (Peterson Warblers Guide), could
be indicative of the dominica subspecies, but, based on their poor quality, my
photos may be inconclusive.

Curious to hear what others think.

Hendrik

Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder