[obol] Ankeny shorebirds

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:35:29 +0000

When I got to Eagle Marsh around 930 there were more than 100 YELLOWLEGS with a
few LESSERS, 100 or more mostly WESTERN PEEPS, 100 DOWITCHERS (some SB I am
sure from the sounds when they all flew from a PEREGRINE FALCON). at LEAST 1
SOLITARY SANDPIPER was still around. I did not get to check into it furthur
when the PEREGRINE flew everything up, most left and did not come back,
probably went to adjacent marshes. Peregrine was a younger one, came up empty,
last time I was here I saw another Peregrine snag a VG SWALLOW in mid-air and
eat it in mid air before strafing the shorebirds another time. Seriously,
feathers flying, while the falcon soared on a thermal, then snack over it was
back for bigger birds.

Roy Gerig, Salem OR