[obol] Ankeny Ruff and white goose

  • From: Evan Centanni <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:14:59 -0800

Caleb, I, and family went to Ankeny to look for the RUFF this afternoon.
Found it about 4pm at the same spot Skip saw it this morning, the turnout
just east of the railroad tracks on Buena Vista Rd., after waiting half an
hour in the rain. It looked like a juvenile to our eyes referencing
Sibley's illustration, based it's buffy breast and mostly black bill.
Didn't get a clear look at any accompanying Yellowlegs, but there were a
number of DOWITCHERS and a couple of WILSON'S SNIPES present.

Afterwards popped over to the shelter at Eagle Marsh for the rest of the
daylight, where a ROSS'S/SNOW GOOSE flew in with a small group of CACKLERS
and landed within easy scoping distance. It was a whitish juvenile,
slightly smaller than the Cacklers, but seemed to have a bigger bill and
differently shaped crown than the illustration of Ross's in Sibley's. Can a
juvenile/transitioning Snow be mostly white and smaller than a Cackling
Goose? Fuzzy photos available soon.

Other highlights at Eagle Marsh were a LINCOLN'S SPARROW and two DUSKY
CANADA GEESE.

Happy birding,
Evan Centanni