[obol] Ankeny NWR Lazuli Bunting, 4/23/15

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:39:19 -0700

I heard and then saw a bright male LAZULI BUNTING at the beginning of the trail
into Rail Trail this morning. It did not seem that early to me, but ebird said
it is, and flagged it as rare. I have 2 minds about ebird. There is a lot
wrong with ebird, and I apologize to Joel Geier who does not like eBird and
even Darrel Faxon who does not trust Cornell University as far as he can throw
it, but it is what we have. It is open, we can all add data. On the other
hand, not enough do. That means it is not robust enough to give an accurate
impression about something like an April 23 LAZBO. Either way, this is likely
first of the year for Marion County.