[obol] Ankeny NWR Brant, Golden Eagle 2/4/14

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:17:32 -0800

After weeks with an upper respiratory infection, I was finally feeling better
this AM when Patty Bernardi called, out of the blue.  Not having seen her in
ages I suggested we go to Ankeny NWR...   We got out of the car at Eagle Marsh,
and almost immediately Patty said something about a BRANT.  It was on the water
with several hundred CACKLING GEESE and a few CANADAS.  I don't know how she
saw it so quickly.  I had a hard time finding it, but finally did.  Then I
looked up and the adult GOLDEN EAGLE that I saw a couple days ago was soaring
directly overhead, with a RT HAWK and HARRIER harassing it, in the bright but
cold sunshine.  This around 11 AM.  We could not find the beautiful adult
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK that's been around.  No white geese either.

Roy Gerig, Salem OR