[obol] Ankeny Long-billed Curlews 8/24/2013

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:07:28 -0700

I saw 2 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS from the parking area at Eagle Marsh at about 9
this morning, at ANWR in Marion County south of Salem.  I later heard them in
flight, possibly leaving the area as I did not see them again.  I walked out to
Teal Marsh and saw the following shorebirds:

Least Sandpiper 10

Western Sandpiper 30

Greater Yellowlegs 10

Lesser Yellowlegs 2

PECTORAL SANDPIPER 2

LONG-BILLED CURLEW 2

Long-billed Dowitcher 8

Killdeer 2

Others:

Black Phoebe 3

Peregrine Falcon 1

American Bittern 5-6 (I spoke with a photographer who also saw 5 in Willow (?)
Marsh.  AMBIs are plentiful at Ankeny this year.  I saw one dining on fresh
bullfrog)

Hooded Merganser 1

Roy Gerig, Salem OR