[obol] An Annotated Spring Phenology for W. OR, plus photos and Empid ID tips

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 07:38:01 +0000

Greetings all,

Every spring brings questions about arrival dates, patterns of northbound
migrations and the ever-present issues with sorting out Empidonax flycatchers.
With that in mind, I've compiled some thoughts about the timing of various
spring migrants in western Oregon. This phenology is based on and biased by my
years of observing spring migration in the Willamette Valley, mostly Eugene and
Portland. I've included photos of several species and subspecies and several
images of Hammond's, Gray, and Dusky Flycatchers, with some helpful hints for
telling them apart. I've also included links to several other western Oregon
phenologies that can be found online. Perhaps someone has put together a
phenology for Eastern/Central Oregon spring arrivals, but I didn't find any
online evidence of such. I will happily add a link to such a phenology if one
is out there.

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2014/05/04/a_spring_migration_phenology_for_western_oregon

Dave Irons
Portland, OR