[obol] American Three-toed Woodpecker Bonanza in SW Washington

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tweeters <tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 07:51:38 +0000

Greetings All,

Today, Shawneen Finnegan, Jim Danzenbaker, Kara Greer and I went up to the
Trout Lake, Washington area. We did a little bit of birding down around Trout
Lake, but we spent most of our time up on FR-8040 that takes off from FR-80 n.
of Trout Lake and winds up the hill through the now nearly two year old Cascade
Creek Burn on the south/southeast skirt of Mt. Adams. FR-8040 ends at the
trailhead for South Trail #183, which leads to the summit of Mt. Adams. This is
a popular staging area for mountain climbers. The last about three miles
(starting from about a half mile below the lower restroom along the road) was
alive with American Three-toed Woodpeckers today. We found at least twelve
along this stretch, including two nests and couple of family groups. If you
want to see Three-toeds, this is the place to go.

I put together a field report with several photos that can be viewed by
clicking on the first link below. The second link is to a more thorough
write-up I did about this burn last summer. It includes a link to a Google Map
that I made for the area.

http://www.birdfellow.com/members/dave_irons/field_reports/877-a-return-to-the-cascade-creek-burn-29-june-2014

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2013/07/07/in_the_wake_of_fire_cascade_creek_burn_site_guide

Good birding,