[obol] American Three-toed Woodpecker, Black-backed Woodpecker - Santiam Pass

  • From: Diana Byrne <diana.byrne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 23:46:13 -0700

I visited the Santiam Pass area (about 20 miles west of Sisters) looking for
woodpeckers this past weekend, following the excellent tip from Tim R (OBOL
post 8/6/13, Subject: Santiam Pass Birding 8/3-8/4/2013).

I only had to hike in about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the Big Lake trailhead of the
Pacific Crest Trail to find both American Three-toed Woodpeckers and
Black-backed Woodpeckers.  This is a beautiful stretch of trail with mountain
views and many burned trees that are attractive to woodpeckers.

Photos and videos at:
http://portlandbirder.blogspot.com/2013/08/american-three-toed-woodpecker.html
http://portlandbirder.blogspot.com/2013/08/black-backed-woodpecker.html

Directions:
On Hwy 20 just west of MP 80 at Hoodoo Ski Bowl sign, turn south and go 0.9 mi.
At the Y, go left and drive 2.1 mi.
Go left at next Y, and drive east 0.5 mi. (towards Big Lake Youth camp, then
left at Pacific Crest Trail sign).
Park  in log-lined parking area at Pacific Crest Trailhead near wooden sign
with free wilderness permits, and hike on the trail to the south.

-Diana Byrne
Portland