[obol] Re: Am I having fun?

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'David Irons'" <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, "'Tom Crabtree'" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'OBOL Oregon Birders Online'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 08:47:47 -0700

Dave,

Good post.

In all my years of leading trips, I never thought I knew all the answers.
One of the most frequent answers I gave to people's questions was "I don't
know." As I was challenged by others who did know, I had to decide: "Do I
want to know fact X or distinction Y?" After some feeling of being
inadequate, I figured out that I didn't care about some of those things. I
valued gentleness, peace, leisure more than the quest for perfection.

I truly wish you well in your quest for new questions and new answers.

However, allow this senior citizen the freedom to sit in my rocking chair
and watch you from the porch. Let me wander out with my cronies for a
leisurely afternoon stroll to the mudflats or woods to see some old avian
friends (some we can't hear too well). Let me chase, see, and enjoy a
rarity without asking whether it is male or female, young or old, race A or
B.

Go ahead and enjoy being at the tip of the spear. Let me enjoy being back
in the pack with folks who aren't that intense.

Enjoy the birds!!

Paul