[obol] Acorn Woodpeckers go to roost

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:41:55 -0700

It's dusk. I'm out tending my lingering burn pile. Three birds whooshed
through the air past me. Three Acorn Woodpeckers landed on their madrone
snag where they had a nest and brought iff two broods this summer, ...in a
part of the snag that is only about 7 inches diameter. Three birds all dove
down into the cavity at 6:31 pm, one after the other. In such a small bole
I imagine it's mighty cozy! ...and I'm pretty sure there were already birds
in there!

Matt Hunter
Melrose