[obol] 8/4/13 - Union County : "Black" RUDDY DUCK

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:04:42 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
This morning (8/4), I had planned to go down to Thief Valley and check the
area where I found the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on 8/2/13.  I
unfortunately had received a half dozen reports of negative results.  En  route
Thief, I stopped at Ladd Marsh WMA, and got derailed, never making  it down to
Thief Valley.  Luke Burton, of Baker City, called me while I was  at Ladd and
is going to give it another try for the Flycatcher this  afternoon.  The
shorebird scrape at the Old Schoolhouse Pond is nearly  gone, but still held
the following:
1 - BLACK-NECKED STILT
1 - LEAST SANDPIPER
1 - SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER
3 - SOLITARY SANDPIPER
On my way back to La Grande, I noticed the La Grande Waste Water  Treatment
Facility gate was open, so I drove in.  Present on the ponds were  lots of
waterfowl and a handful of gulls.  Highlights included:
1 - fly-over CASPIAN TERN
1 - SEMPIMALMATED SANDPIPER
2 - BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
3 - swimming AMERICAN AVOCETS
1 - "Black" RUDDY DUCK with 70 + normally plumaged RUDDY DUCKS
I have never seen a RUDDY that looked quite like this.  Has anyone  else
see this species, looking like this:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/avitours/blackruddy_zps2ff17c3a.jpg
It definitely make me stop and ponder for a moment.  Cool looking  bird!

There was also a "Pied" BREWER'S BLACKBIRD hanging around the water's edge
that was briefly reminiscent of a Black Turnstone.
Good birding,
-Trent Bray

The  Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds

1707 5th Street