[obol] 5/28/13 - Union County, OR : VEERY & BOBOLINK, et al.

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
This morning (5/28, 8:00 am), in slight drizzle, I tried again for Veery at
 Catherine Creek State Park.  I parked in the camping area and checked the
traditional spot behind campsite # 20.  No campers were present, except for
 the camp host, so no generator noise, which was helpful.  Catherine is
still running high and loud, but I managed to detect a single singing VEERY in
 the riparian area there.  There were also numerous species  singing and
sallying about : WARBLING VIREO, DUSKY FLYCATHER, RED-NAPED  SAPSUCKER,
MACGILLIVRAYS WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, SONG  SPARROW and
WESTERN
TANAGER.  On my way back to La Grande, I swung by Union  Junction via
Arch/Curtis Road, to check again for Bobolinks.  I noticed  that there was a
pair
of SANDHILL CRANES, which are apparently nesting  here.  I have seen them
here the last several weeks.  Suddenly, a  single male BOBOLINK popped up on
a old fence post, about 200 meters from the  road and called several times
before disappearing in some deep sedge. I  stopped at Ladd Marsh WMA via
Peach Road.  It was packed with Swallows and  VAUX'S SWIFTS and the usual
suspects.  No Whimbrel.

Good birding,

- Trent

The  Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds