[obol] 5/12/14 - Umatilla County : RUDDY TURNSTONE et al.

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "AVITOURS@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 22:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
Aaron Skirvin  found two RUDDY TURSTONES at Warehouse Beach along the
Columbia River in  Umatilla County yesterday morning (5/11, 10 a.m.).
Apparently, these are  only the 3rd Umatilla County record.  Today, I had the
day off
from work,  so I ran over there this morning (5/12, 10:30 a.m.).  I was
glassing the  large group of Terns along the rocks, when I found an adult
COMMON
TERN amongst  the FORSTER'S and CASPIANS.  Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of
one of the  RUDDY TURNSTONES.  A couple of photos can be viewed in my eBird
submission:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18364241
I called Aaron, and  soon we were both able to enjoy views of the COMMON
TERN & RUDDY  TURNSTONE.
I headed back to La Grande via Weston, Tollgate  and Elgin.  I stopped by
Rhinehart Canyon around 4:30 p.m.  I got to  the bridge and almost instantly
saw a bright blue bird fly across the Grande  Ronde River.  I got the
binoculars on the bird and it was a bright blue  male INDIGO BUNTING with
several
LAZULI BUNTINGS.  I reached for my camera  in time to watch the flock of
Buntings fly north down stream.  I was unable  to relocate the INDIGO.  This is
only Union County's 2nd INDIGO  BUNTING.  Our first INDIGO was documented
on 5/16/12.  A nice day  birding!
Good birding,
- Trent Bray
The Bobolink - Linking Birders  & Birds