[obol] Re: 12/18/13 - Union County : BUSHTIT, HARRIS'S SPARROW, etc.

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Trent Bray <avitours@xxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:46:48 +0000

Trent Bray wrote: During yesterday's visit, I  found an interesting CHICKADEE
which
I photographed .  I think it may have  some mixed parentage.  Here is the
location of the  photo:
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx176/thebobolink/BCCHXMOCH.jpg

I  also found a interesting discussion with photos regarding hybrids:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/hybridbirds/discuss/72157613164363562
Trent,
Over the past 3-4 years there have been multiple Black-capped Chickadee X
Mountain Chickadee hybrids found in Washington. The amount of white over and in
front of the eye is considerably weaker than most of the hybrids that I've seen
in photos. With hybridization, the appearances of resulting offspring can be
highly variable. That said, Black-capped Chickadees often show partial leucism,
which might explain the appearance of this bird. Aside from the little swipe of
white over they eye, this bird looks like a fairly typical Black-capped. What
it lacks (apparent in all the hybrids shown at the discussion link you
provided) is some white in the lores. Mountain Chickadees have a white break
between the base of the bill and the front of the black mask and this
characteristic seems to show up in hybrids. It is really obvious in the two
Washington birds, but is weaker, yet still present in the Colorado bird. Your
bird has entirely black lores. There is a possibility that it could be a F2
hybrid–Black-capped Chickadee X Mountain Chickadee (F1 hybrid) X Black-capped
Chickadee, which might explain a bird that suggests a hybrid but is more
Black-capped in appearance.
Dave IronsPortland, OR