[obol] 01/29/13 - Wallowa County, Joseph, OR : LITTLE BUNTING addendum

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:49:04 -0500 (EST)

Birders -

I do not have too much more to add regarding the Joseph, OR., LITTLE
BUNTING.   Yesterday (1/29), it was seen two different times (8:57 AM  & 11:51
AM), where Kyle Bratcher first re-found it, and in three  different times
sporadically (10:50 - 11:20 AM),  in two neighboring yards  where I observed
it.
All sightings have come from only an approximate 1  block diameter;
however, it took four birders about 41/2 hours to find it 5  times in two days.
Kendrick Moholt, from Lostine, OR., arrived just in  time, to catch it while it
was being cooperative, the last sighting of the  day, that I am aware of.

Here is Craig Tumer's [Thanks again Craig!] link to the  map (again), that
shows the locations where the bunting was observed  yesterday and early this
morning:

_https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RXIrvfrW71JakM6fSGZ7LvdoL_Y34hXr-GkaT
xhVxn4?feat=drectlink_
(https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RXIrvfrW71JakM6fSGZ7LvdoL_Y34hXr-GkaTxhVxn4?feat=drectlink)

After I saw the bird the first time (9:12 AM), and was able to quickly
study over it's finer details with binoculars; I figured I would try to get a
least one or two pictures.  I unfortunately never got very close to the
bird, I was thoughtlessly free-handing the shots, it was overcast and cold,
but I took 137 snaps of this bird.  I got a few interesting angles,  albiet
poor quality, missed a in-flight series, and got a handful of  diagnostic
photos.  One of the better ones is embedded in my ebird  submission for this
search, which can be viewed here:

_http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12765186_
(http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12765186)

While I walked the neighborhood, if anyone even looked at my binoculars, I
told them what I was doing and why I was there.  I knocked on the door of
100 S. College and spoke with Genene Kingsford, so she is on the same page,
along with many of the neighbors.  I showed her a picture of the  LITTLE
BUNTING and explained that she may be seeing lots of folks with  binoculars,
scopes, and cameras around.   I didn't talk to  everyone, so remember this is
their neighborhood and you are a guest.  When  it is appropriate, I would
also suggest informing businesses and individuals  that you are visiting
their town to look at their birds.  I even  started off the morning sharing my
birding intentions to my interested sever at  breakfast in La Grande and
accidentally explaining to the not-so- interested gas  station attendant in
Enterprise in the afternoon.  Kendrick was going the  talk to the local
newspaper in Joseph.  Wow, this was a life bird for  me and I only had to drive
148.2 miles from home!  Whether you keep lists  or not, if you like looking at
birds, go see this one.  Don't  procrastinate, there are very few birds quite
like it in Oregon,  Washington, the Pacific Northwest, or North America,
for that  matter.  If you come through, La Grande feel free to call,  e-mail,
or stop by the shop.  I always enjoy talking about birds with other
interested folks.  Drive safe, enjoy the process, be patient, and good  skill &
good luck!

Good birding,

- Trent

The  Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds