[oakleafsunjgroup] Hello from Burkina Faso!

  • From: Aboczsr <aboczsr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andy <aboczsr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:20:04 -0400

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the prayers!  We are in the middle of our second day of teaching and things have gone well so far.

Let me back up and fill you in on our trip so far.  The flights from Atlanta to Paris and Paris to Ouagadougou were uneventful, but no one got much sleep.   We arrived here safely and thankfully all of our luggage was waiting for us after we went through customs.  Everything was  loaded everything onto a van and we piled in.  It was roughly a 30 minute ride from the airport to the LAC. Similar to last year in Tanzania, lots of scooters going every which way. More bicycles this year. More poverty too. Apparently it has been raining so everything was muddy. They are excited though since it has been so dry until lately.

We are staying at  the LAC Christian School in the guest house. The LAC is actually on the outskirts of Ouagadougou (See below).

image.jpeg`

So far the power has been pretty reliable (although it went out for a couple of hours last night).  I have included a picture of the guest house below.
image.jpeg

The first night I think we all slept 12+ hours since we were all so tired from the trip.  The next day we spent planning our first day of teaching.  This was a little more involved than expected  because the local printer was unable to have our books ready on time.  As it turns out, this is still the case so prayers are needed that we will get the books tonight or tomorrow.  We also took an hour walk through the nearest village.  Here's a picture from that walk:

image.jpeg

Yesterday, we started our first day of English camp with the kids.  We kicked off the camp with introductions, our worship songs, and a devotional.  We have four classes of roughly 15 people for a total of 63 attendees.  The first day included 4 hours of English, crafts (my wind chimes), special classes (sports, cooking, dance, and Bible), and a movie at night (Shrek 2 with French subtitles).

So far the team has been pretty healthy, but there have been two different cases of mild digestive upsets and we have been pretty careful about what we are eating and only using the filtered water.  Also, it has been extremely hot so we have all had to drink excessive amounts of water.  There is some concern about electrolyte deficiencies. Please keep up the prayers for the team!

That's all for now, and I have to head back for the afternoon.  Please keep praying for the team and our mission.  We will be visiting Sector 30 tomorrow, and I know we will all be affected by what we experience.

May God bless your day,
Andy