[nvda-translations] Splitting control labels on multiple lines

  • From: Kostadin Kolev <k_kolev1985@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:49:02 +0200

Hello all,

Initially, my question was going to be about the button in NVDA's general settings window for copying the current user settings to the Windows log on screen and other protected screens, but I've decided to extend it for all controls in NVDA's UI.

So, my question is the following. Can the translators use some characters to instruct the NVDA's UI to split the text in a specified place and show the next part of the string on a new line? As far as I know, this is possible via the "\n" escape sequence. But will it apply not only for dialog text, but for control labels as well? For example: for checkboxes, radio buttons, buttons, etc.? Will the container for the text label expand vertically to fit the 2 or more lines of text? I'm asking, because sometimes a string is too long to be displayed on a single line and displaying it on 2 or more lines may be the solution in such a case. The bulgarian translation of the button mentioned above is a good example - it is very long and needlessly expands the width of the dialog. If we could instruct the UI to split the label on 2 lines, it would be much better.

Thanks much in advance!

___
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev