[nvda-translations] Audio tutorial and a seminar on translations during NVDACon: a brief outline

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 07:45:45 -0800

Hi translators and potential colleagues,

I'm about to record an audio tutorial explaining our translations process,
as well as to add a translations seminar at the upcoming NVDA conference.

As for the tutorial/seminar, here's the outline I'm proposing:

1.       What is involved in NVDA translation?

2.        How to join the translations workflow.

3.       Software needed: SVN client, Poedit, a Unicode-aware text editor

4.       Checking out and committing files

5.       Understanding, translating and testing your main and add-on
interface translations

6.       How symbols and character descriptions work and how to translate
them.

7.       Translating, testing and refining documentation.

8.       Tips on translations workflow: testing documentation, file
encoding, braces in po files and so on.

9.       Working in groups: process management, new maintainers and
communicating deadlines.

10.   Key terms and dates to remember: translatable string freeze,
translation submission deadline for a release and so on.

I expect the tutorial (or the seminar) to take no more than an hour. If a
seminar is desirable, it'll be held on the second day of the NVDACon (March
21st) as second to last session. If a tutorial is preferred, I can record it
(or someone can record it as well) and will be available sometime next
month.

Please let me know (preferably offlist) if you have comments on the
tutorial/seminar contents and your preferred mode of information (tutorial
or a seminar). Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph