[nvda-addons] Re: New addon for Virtual Audio Cable available

  • From: Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 08:42:58 -0400

I am using Windows 8.1, and lacking knowledge of how to explore what
we once called the Start menu, I just type in app names to run them. I
actually missed the existence of the VAC Control Panel. I will look at
that now to see if I can make that easier to use as well.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:30:55AM +0200, Ondrej Rosik wrote:
HI,
I have no idea about your code, but on my system with VAC 4.10 it
works as expected. But I think that this version is quite outdated so
maybe I definitelly should update and test it again. Anyways as a
future request, it would be great if you can also name fields in the
application control panel. But still, good job.

D??a 19. 6. 2014 23:17 Doug Lee  wrote / nap??sal(a):
>I have posted an NVDA addon for Virtual Audio Cable at
>http://www.dlee.org/vac/vac.nvda-addon
>The home page for Virtual Audio Cable itself is
>http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
>
>The addon does three things: Fixes field names, fixes tab order or at
>least improves it, and avoids focus loss when you press Start/Stop. (I
>am aware that it is odd to alter tab order with an addon, but for
>these small apps, I thought it would help enough to be worth it.)
>
>The addon applies to the two audiorepeater applications in Virtual
>Audio Cable 4.1.4: audiorepeater 1.51 and audiorepeater_ks 1.82.
>
>I am not sure how modern my approach to addon creation is, so I
>welcome constructive feedback at this address on how I accomplished
>this.
>
>I do find that the focus recovery can fail sometimes and that the tab
>order code may be sensitive to timing because obj.setFocus() must
>sometimes be called twice with an intervening delay in order to work;
>but overall, I find this addon functional enough to be useful.
>
>The rest of this message is just for code readers, reviewers, curious
>souls, etc.:
>
>audiorepeater.py and audiorepeater_ks.py are the directly loaded
>modules. They both delegate the bulk of their work to ar_common.py,
>which contains the required AppModule class and handles the field
>naming, focus recovery, and Tab/Shift+Tab gesture intercepts. The tab
>order itself is handled by wins.py. That module takes care to rebuild
>its data structures if the active app changes, either because the user
>closed one instance and opened a new one or, rare though this may be,
>because the user ran both audiorepeater and audiorepeater_ks at the
>same time. I don't see a way to load multiple instances of either app
>at once, but this addon code should support that use case if it
>happens.
>
>Tab order is equal to ascending progression through control IDs - a
>rare approach but a very functional one for these apps, it seems to
>me. On the first Tab or Shift+Tab in a given app instance, a dict of
>controlID-to-object mappings is built for that instance, so finding
>the next tab stop can be done quickly.

Doug Lee                 dgl@xxxxxxxx                http://www.dlee.org
SSB BART Group           doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
Reality is not what we see.  Reality is what is, whether we see it or not.
(03/01/09)