[NTA] NASA Langley Diversity Day - April 25 - Pearl Fryar

  • From: "Sellars, Janet E. (LARC-B3)" <janet.e.sellars@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NTA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <NTA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:28:54 -0500

We are honored to bring noted topiary artist and philanthropist Pearl Fryar to
Langley for Diversity Day, April 25, 2012, from 10:00 - 12:00, at the Reid
Center.  His inspiring story about how he got started as a topiary artist and
gained national attention is something not to be missed.  He started with a
goal of winning "yard of the month," when he moved into a neighborhood where
his neighbors didn't believe he would care for his lawn.  Mr. Fryar started
with plants that were discarded by local nurseries and he nurtured them and
created a topiary masterpiece visited by thousands each year.  Mr. Fryar now
uses the fame he has gained to raise funds for young people who may not be the
best scholars to attend college. He likes to say that when he asked his wife
why she married him, she said: "Because you have potential!"  Mr. Fryar saw
potential in discarded plants and has carried it further with young people who
may not have otherwise been given a chance.

We are sure you will enjoy his message of love, peace, and goodwill as well as
a topiary demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfU2vzZrUho

Janet E. Sellars
EEO Director