[NTA] FW: Internet filtering!!!

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5560)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 08:13:48 -0500

Did you know you're being followed and filtered?   My computer programmer
Angela told me about about this internet filtering!!!  Due to something called
algorithms.

Fascinating.

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/5/27/eli_pariser_on_the_filter_bubble

Eli Pariser on "The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You"
Share2073<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democracynow.org%2F2011%2F5%2F27%2Feli_pariser_on_the_filter_bubble&t=Eli%20Pariser%20on%20%22The%20Filter%20Bubble%3A%20What%20the%20Internet%20Is%20Hiding%20from%20You%E2%80%9D&src=sp>
[cid:86779179-78F4-4C03-9A48-5345A60E9339@home]

The internet is increasingly becoming an echo chamber in which websites tailor
information according to the preferences they detect in each viewer. When some
users search the word "Egypt," they may get the latest news about the
revolution, others might only see search results about Egyptian vacations. The
top 50 websites collect an average of 64 bits of personal information each time
we visit-and then custom-design their sites to conform to our perceived
preferences. What impact will this online filtering have on the future of
democracy? We speak to Eli Pariser, author of The Filter Bubble: What the
Internet Is Hiding from You. "Take news about the war in Afghanistan. When you
talk to people who run news websites, they'll tell you stories about the war in
Afghanistan don't perform very well. They don't get a lot of clicks. People
don't flock to them. And yet, this is arguably one of the most important issues
facing the country," says Pariser. "But it will never make it through these
filters. And especially on Facebook this is a problem, because the way that
information is transmitted on Facebook is with the 'like' button. And the
'like' button, it has a very particular valence. It's easy to click 'like' on
'I just ran a marathon' or 'I baked a really awesome cake.' It's very hard to
click 'like' on 'war in Afghanistan enters its 10th year.'" [includes rush
transcript]

Amy
Your life today is the sum total of all the choices you've made up to this
point.

JPEG image