[NTA] FW: EPA Student Summer Employment Program Website

  • From: "Ericsson, Aprille J. (GSFC-5560)" <aprille.j.ericsson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:52:03 -0500

> From: Hicks.Karen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Hicks.Karen%40epamail.epa.gov>
> Subject: Fw: EPA Student Summer Employment Program Website
> To: "Brown-Williams, Cheryl E."
> eddyjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:eddyjenkins%40verizon.net>,
> deelyteful@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:deelyteful%40hotmail.com>,
> lynn16@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lynn16%40comcast.net>,
> Bonita.Mayo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Bonita.Mayo%40csosa.gov>,
> Naema.Nur@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Naema.Nur%40gdit.com>,
> patriciabaucom@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:patriciabaucom%40comcast.net>,
> deannap@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:deannap%40coastal.com>
> Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 5:43 PM
>

> We are pleased to inform you that the EPA Student Summer Employment Program
> Opportunities website is now up and running. The site provides a centralized
> portal through which students may enter to learn about EPA summer employment
> opportunities.  Having a central portal makes it easier for students to find
> information about specific work areas of interest.  They also are able to
> submit job applications directly to the EPA offices with vacancies.  The
> direct link to the Summer Employment Opportunities website is
> http://www.epa.gov/ohr/student/.<http://www.epa.gov/ohr/student/>  It will be
> available until May 29, 2010.

   The Student Temporary Employment Program (STEP) is used to hire most summer
students and requires no formal competition.  Qualifying students can also be
hired directly into the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP), which can be
used as a co-op hiring program for students whose long-term goals match
organization hiring needs.  Hiring managers within each advertizing office are
responsible for screening candidates and coordinating selections with their
respective Shared Service Centers.  To qualify, students must be 1) enrolled in
an accredited high school, college, university, or technical or vocational
school; 2) in good academic standing with at least a GPA of “C” or its
equivalent; 3) at least age 16; and 4) a United States Citizen.

   Given the high response rate we typically receive from interested students
and the limited number of EPA jobs available, we do not recommend that students
be required to submit their transcripts upfront, although many do so on their
own.  If it is pertinent to the position, hiring managers may request
applicants to provide a list of relevant coursework.  The website does indicate
that transcripts will be required before hiring.

    Please be aware that veterans who apply for summer employment should be
afforded preference as far as administratively possible.  Thus, when you
receive applications from qualified veterans, they should be referred to
managers and considered ahead of other qualified candidates for the same
position.  Because these summer opportunities are excepted service positions,
they are not subject to specific application of the veterans’ preference
scoring procedure.   If you receive applications indicating veterans’
preference, you should work with your SSC contact to ensure receipt of proper
documentation of veterans’ status.

    Finally, Office of Personnel Management regulations state that students may
work in the same agency with a relative when there is no direct reporting
relationship and the relative is not in a position to influence or control the
student’s appointment, employment or advancement within the agency.  EPA Order
3110.1, Employment of Relatives also states that employees who are relatives
cannot be assigned to work for the same first-line supervisor.  Please be sure
that managers, supervisors and other employees, as appropriate, are aware of
these requirements.

    Please share this e-mail message and make sure that managers and
supervisors within your organization are apprised of the requirements
associated with EPA’s Student Summer Employment Program.  If you have any
questions about the program or the summer hiring website, you may contact JoAnn
Brant at (202) 564-0375 (brant.joann@xxxxxxx<mailto:brant.joann%40epa.gov>).