[noteworthy_purchasers] NoteWorthy for OS X enters Beta

  • From: IntelliGents Sales <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: noteworthy_purchasers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:17:20 -0400

Greetings NoteWorthy Purchaser.
One of the questions we get asked most frequently is, "When will
there be a release of NoteWorthy for OS X?"  We are pleased to
announce that NoteWorthy 2 for OS X has now entered beta testing, and
we would like to invite you to try out this software as one of our
beta testers.

What would you do as a beta tester?

1.  Go to our website, at http://www.intelli-gents.com/beta.htm to
read about the beta program and sign up to be a beta tester.  (There
is a form for this at the website.)

2.  If you are accepted as a beta tester, you will receive a URL to
download the program and a password to unlock the .sit file.  No
special installation is necessary for the beta.

3.  If you are a current NoteWorthy user, MAKE A COPY of your dataset
to use with the beta, as it will change the architecture of the
datafile and it will not be backwards compatible.

4.  Try out the program.

5.  Report to us any problems.

You can opt out of beta testing at any time, though we would
appreciate feedback on any reasons you may have for deciding you do
not wish to continue using the program, as this kind of feedback is
precisely what might help us make the product more usable in the
future.

What's this "Version 2"?

We are able to make NoteWorthy available now for OS X because the
underlying database engine is now available in OS X-compatible form.
The new engine does, however, make changes in the data structure, and
so we decided that this should be treated as a major update, as
datasets created with or imported into the new version will not be
backwards-compatible with v1.  (So if you try it out using your old
dataset, make sure you make a COPY of it in case you still want to
use v1 with it!)

Versions of NoteWorthy for Mac OS and Win will also be issued with
compatible structure under the v2 label.  However, there is no new
functionality to the v2 releases.  (Except for the fact that the
changes to the database engine solved the annoying problem with
Choose Keywords producing only a partial list of keywords.)  Current
users will be able to request free upgrades for v2 versions of
NoteWorthy for the platform they already have licenses for.  (E.g.,
if you ahve v1 for Windows, you will be able to get a license for v2
for Windows at no charge.)

Ways of getting NoteWorthy free (to you the academic user)

Please note that NoteWorthy is available for site licensing to your
institution, usually at a dramatically reduced cost-per-user.  We
also have a promotional deal whereby institutions of higher learning
can put NoteWorthy on all public lab computers for free.  For
details, see the PROMOTIONS section of our website at
http://www.intelli-gents.com.  If you think your institution would
benefit from one of these opportunities, please pass on this
information to your information technology contacts.

We appreciate your patronage, and hope you will continue to use our product.

Listadmin: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx