[north-takoma] Re: Window replacement

  • From: Emily McCarthy <embiskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: north-takoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 07:55:28 -0500

Thank you! All this is good to know! We love our older wooden windows, but the ones I’m talking about replacing are not worth restoring in any way. They seem to be 10-20 years old and are vinyl. They’re yellowing, cracking, foggy between the panes and cheap looking. Even if we don’t recoup any costs, it’ll just bring value to me in enjoying what I look at each day!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2023, at 6:58 PM, Mark Verschell <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The person I used here is no longer with us. Before that, we used Blaine, but they have changed. If they have some older, experienced tech it would still probably be good. Neil Mozer is the local expert, but he is a bit of a prima donna and wants to restore all your windows completely. If you are up for that, they will be amazing.
Other than that, you will probably have to find someone and interview them.

Email from the Id
On Mar 4, 2023, at 3:25 PM, Rebecca Sutton <rebecca.t.sutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark, who did you use for refurbishing and repairing your windows? We have more than a a few that could use a little love.

Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 4, 2023, at 2:58 PM, Melissa McNulty <mel.mcnulty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just reiterating this! As a real estate agent in the area, I often hear inspectors say that original windows with storm windows added in winter are far superior in terms of efficiency.
Our newer vinyl double-paned windows installed by the previous owner in 2006 are horribly drafty.
-Melissa (on Ray)
On Sat, Mar 4, 2023, 2:21 PM Milford Sprecher <milford.sprecher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am with Mark on this.  You may have an excellent reason for wanting to change your windows, but in most situations it isn't cost effective.
Milford
On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 2:18 PM Mark Verschell <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Emily,

Baltimore Ave from Takoma to Cleveland is in the historic district. Except for some newer houses, ANY window replacement requires a HAWP (Historic Area Work Permit). As Lorraine said, repair and restoration does not. You should check before you allow any work.

Btw: I haven’t found many new windows worth the money. Our windows on the first 2 floors are 100-125 years old. Other than repair work, and some persuasion, they are in amazing shape. The replacements on the 3rd floor look worn and they are no more than 20 years old. With the removable interior storm windows we added over our beautiful historic windows with period (wavy) glass (Storm Snaps, https://www.stormsnaps.com) they are nearly as good as the best modern double pane windows, and better than most). At a fraction of the cost of quality replacments (which can run $500-$1,500 per window).

While I am standing on my soapbox, let me relate my experience from our old Silver Spring house. 1946 house with worn out double pane windows (broken sash cords, sash locks, etc.). We priced quality replacments and I asked “how long before I recoup the cost of this replacement?” Oh, five to ten years at worst.

That didn’t sound right, so I did the work myself. The equations to calculate this are out there, so I programmed it myself, and then afterwards found online tools I could have used. They weren’t as complete as what I did, but we were in pretty close agreement.

The payback period for our window replacment? 75-90 years! It makes sense when you realize windows generally don’t make up that much of a house’s wall. Then take into account that the argon (or other gas) in double pane windows SHOULD last 20 years (some say 30-40), and you might never recoup the expense.

I got a quote to refurbish and repair and it was a fraction of the cost of replacements (maybe 15%?). You could tell the difference afterwards as it didn’t feel as cold near the windows after that.

My bottomline? Unless your windows are just beyond repair, window replacements aren’t worth it.

B&T Mark

Email from the Id

--
Milford H. Sprecher