[non-24] Effects of sleep deprivation equal to binge drinking or marijuana use, study shows

  • From: "Steve" <hamsteve64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <non-24-sleep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 12:46:14 -0400

BlankEffects of sleep deprivation equal to binge drinking or marijuana use,
study shows
By Jayson Flores USA TODAY Pulling all-nighters is an honorary college
sport - one that students may want to refrain from playing in the future.
According to a small study from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine , the
effects of poor sleep can result in academic failures - poor grades,
withdrawal from class, etc. - equal to that of students who binge drink or
use marijuana. A lack of sleep can result in various side effects, which
differs from person to person. "Generally, my body feels sore when I do not
get enough sleep. During such times, I feel like taking an ice bath to force
my body to feel awake and refreshed," says Anna Gragert, a sophomore
business administration major at State University of New York at New Paltz.
"I have trouble remembering things and keeping up with everything.
Sometimes, I even get chest pains or stomach pains when I lose enough sleep.
The American College Health Association's National College Health Assessment
analyzed the sleep data of 43,000 students to determine the effects of sleep
on academic performance. The researchers made adjustments in the data,
specifically when students reported any sort of mental health concerns like
depression, which on their own can cause difficulties in the classroom and
beyond. But do students who have trouble sleeping actually feel as bad or
worse than students who binge drink or smoke marijuana? "In acceptable
amounts, I feel better after drinking. Running on little to no sleep is a
different story; I would much prefer a wicked hangover than the lack of
sleep feeling," says Trish Reznick, a junior mass communications major at
York College of Pennsylvania. Roxanne Prichard, Ph.D., associate professor
of psychology at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., told the
Huffington Post that, while most students don't have clinical sleep
disorders, 60% of students report having some sort of difficulty sleeping.
"I have a sleeping problem in the sense that I don't sleep enough or well
enough," says Jennifer Clark, a junior computer technology design major at
Arcadia University. "I'm beginning to find the less sleep I get the harder
it is for me to get out of bed in the morning. I used to be able to get up
with the alarm, now I hit snooze and it takes me like a half hour to
actually get up," she adds. Institutions of higher education have not
traditionally allocated any funds or activities to discussing or assisting
students who have trouble getting enough sleep, which differs greatly from
the massive amount of programming provided to combat alcohol and drug-use.
RELATED: Drop that beer! Colleges crack down on alcohol violations One
school that has made sleep a priority is the University of Michigan, which
recently made the news for a new addition to their campus - napping stations
. Sleep deprived students now have a resource for rest that provides
students with a way to cope with stress while giving them a moment to relax.
A lack of sleep can also make students more overwhelmed than they already
are. "When I do have trouble sleeping, I feel stressed because the longer I
am laying there without falling asleep, the more time I have to stress over
things I haven't given a thought to during the day. My body feels
uncomfortable, like I feel the need to move every second," admits Anouchka
Kibora, a sophomore International Studies major at Arcadia University. Among
all grade levels, freshmen are most heavily affected by lack of sleep.
According to the study, one of the biggest causes of this is their age ,
which biologically makes freshmen more inclined to stay up really late.
Health in-take forms do not always have spaces for students to report on
their sleep, which is potentially a big miss for student health & wellness
centers. Prichard adds to this, explaining that many other issues like a
student's mental health can be strongly affected by the amount of sleep a
student is getting. "When I have trouble sleeping, I feel like I am on
'auto-pilot', my anxiety is through the roof and I question my every little
decision," says Reznick. Hitting the hay is more important than ever, not
only for one's health, but also for one's academics. The study and its
research will be presented at SLEEP 2014, the 28th annual gathering of the
Associated Professional Sleep Societies.

To send a message to the list
non-24-sleep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

non-24-sleep-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with either subscribe or unsubscribe in the subject line.

To view list archives:
//www.freelists.org/archive/non-24-sleep

To contact the listowner directly:
non-24-sleep-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx