[nnasnet] thanks to Congressman Rob Wittman

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:44:38 -0400

The National Audubon Convention was just held in Leesburg. See the good news
about Rob Wittman sponsoring a bird conservation act.
Please call, write or email him and thank him for co-sponsoring this bill....
Congressman Rob Wittman
508 Church Street
Tappahannock, VA 22560 804-4430668
If you go to his web site, wittman.house.gov you can submit a message to him
from that site.
thanks,
Maggie Gerdts
VA Audubon Council Representative

Dear Mary, Caroline and other friends, thanks for helping on this….this is a
THANK YOU TO CONGRESSMAN WITTMAN- he has co-sponsored the reauthorization of the
Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act….this is huge - finding and
cultivating Republican leaders who support bird conservation is not as easy as
it once was. I was able to meet with Congressman Wittman at the Migratory Bird
Conservation Commission which
he sits on as one of 2 Congressmen….they approve and appropriate the duck
stamp monies each year ( approx.. $50 million). I told Congressman Wittman that
he is filling the big shoes of retired Congressman Silvio Conte, who was a
leader in conservation for
many years and now has a wildlife refuge named for him along the Connecticut
River. I am told by folks in Ducks Unlimited that Congressman Wittman has some
vocal Tea Party members in his district that tend to make him apprehensive on
conservation programs
administered by the government. So Thanking him for his leadershiop from
Audubon folks in Virginia and his district is a big deal. Thank you very much.

Also the Neotrop program provides about $3.5 million annually for hemispheric
bird conservation- 75% spent outside the USA. Last year $1.6 million went to
Audubon’s
Birdlife partners in the America’s and this year we got $160,000 for our
Piping Plover work in the Bahamas with the Bahamas National Trust….

Thanks Mary, and everyone for your help on this.

Best,

Glenn

Donal O’Brien Chair in Bird Conservation and Public Polciy
National Audubon Society
916-952-0632

From: Olson, Glenn <GOLSON@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Subject: FW: Congressman Rob Wittman

To: "Mary, Elfner, Director" <director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mary, here is the fact sheet on the Act that Congressman Wittman is
co-sponsoring. Thanks for sharing
it with Virginians and with members in his district. Best, Glenn
All the best,

Glenn

Donal O’Brien Chair In Bird Conservation and Public Policy
National Audubon Society

--

Mary

www.virginiaauduboncouncil.org